- Who are you? What is your position at EED?
Hi, my name is Lexi. I’m an interior designer and in charge of marketing here at EED.
- Where do you pull inspiration from?
Pinterest and Instagram mostly. I lean more towards technology for my inspiration because it’s easy to send, edit, and communicate with.
- What is your signature style?
As a designer, I think it’s important that your style morph to accommodate your client. However, my personal signature style is more monochromatic and dark.
- You’re a new addition to a crayon box, what color are you?
Easy, black. But with a sheen or hint of sparkle, it’s a delicate balance.
- What traits did you have as a child that hinted at your design career?
Ever since I was a girl, I would take to drawing floor plans and planning house designs. I blame it on my father who drafted and built our family home himself.
- What was your favorite project you’ve designed?
Station 121 in downtown Des Moines was by far one of my favorite projects to work on. Everything was so custom and the history of the building really impacted some wonderful design.
- What is your favorite vendor that EED uses?
Torre & Tagus consistently stays one of my favorite vendors because they have great products and are always releasing new items.
- When you’re not designing, what are you doing?
When I’m not designing, I’m bringing my designs to life. My time off is dedicated to projects around my house. I love designing for myself and getting to make the designs happen with my own hands is so rewarding.
- If you had to design with only one color for the rest of your life, what color would you choose?
Black. It’s not for everyone but I’d sure enjoy an eternity of designing with it.
- What is your go-to drink?
White wine on weekdays, Vodka on weekends 🙂
- What is one aspect of design that you give the highest priority to?
BUDGET. Again, I’ll blame it on my father, who does estimating for an engineering firm and drilled into my head that budget is the top priority. It’s a constant battle of aesthetic and reason.
- What color do you stray away from?
Reds & pinks
- What is your biggest design pet peeve?
When we, as designers, are referred to as decorators. Just don’t.
- What is your funniest EED story?
One of the funniest stories that I have from working at EED comes from about a year or so ago and actually involves The Flooring Guys, who we now have a shared space with. It was Cinco de Mayo and naturally, in our best and most over the top fashion, we surprised The Flooring Guys with some margs and food at their store….wearing sombreros and mustaches….while blaring Mexican music out of our phones. As if that’s not funny or embarrassing enough as it is, we didn’t notice the shop full of customers they had. Safe to say, their customers thought it was as funny as we did and got to enjoy some of the festivities with us!
- What is your favorite thing about working at EED?
All of the great ladies I work with and all the amazing clients we work for. It’s a great environment all the way around that makes it feel less like work and more like fun.